At 12:56 PM 12/16/2008, you wrote:
>Barry A. Wilson wrote:
>
> > OK Nate,
> >
> > You almost confused me in your below example. so just so others
> > understand.
> >
> > The YOUR: Your call sign in your example should actually be represented
> > by MY: My Call
>
>Maybe.  My IC-91 calls it that though.

Yep, I've always used

MY
UR
R1
R2

As per the 91AD. :)

>This is the example format I've been using for the entire time I've been
>doing D-STAR examples, and the way they are on even our own local
>website.  This is the first anyone's been confused by it?

Likewise

>Maybe.  Better yet, learn Icom-style callsign routing first, THEN start
>playing with DPlus Linking later.  (Which is not what's typically
>happening with most new users these days, so they're often completely
>confused.)

Getting on D-STAR a little before dplus linking came on the scene is
a bit of an advantage for me, not to mention that users here don't
have access to linking facilities, so if you want to go beyond the
local area and hardcoded reflector links, you HAVE to learn Icom
style routing. :)

>I guess it's just not intuitive for anyone other than data routing
>folks... to me, the whole callsign routing things has always made
>"sense".  Not hard to learn at all, once you know the "rules" of how the
>"routers" (Gateways) work.

Maybe all those /sbin/route add -net .... commands over the years did
influence how easily I picked up Icom routing. ;)

>I want to ROUTE my voice from "here" to "there", is how I think of all
>of it all.  Works for me.

More or less the same.  I want to setup a route to UR on interface R1
via gateway R1, my address is MY

Or in pseudo Linux commands...

route add -host UR gw R2 dev R1

;)