--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <n...@...> wrote:

> Or another way around it, would be to transmit obfuscated data in
> those fields and ID in voice.
>
> It's ridiculously easy to obfuscate the callsign field directly from
> the rig, of course.
>
> Could also be useful to use things other than callsigns in the
> callsign field for special reasons, and even register them, now that I
> think about it.
>
> --
> Nate Duehr, WY0X
> n...@...

This tickles another train of thought I've had.  I think the current
registration of stations to use the gateway system is the wrong approach.  I
understand the concerns for Internet initiated conversations, a la the DV
Dongle, having some vetting of the credentials of the operator.  However, on
the RF initiated side of communications, I believe the whole registration
process is both confusing and counter productive.  With intelligent gateways, a
new operator's callsign could be initially compared against a regular
expression (a pattern matcher for callsigns) and/or compared against a database
of callsigns, like the FCC database and if the callsign looks legitimate, then
they are allowed on the gateway system and recorded in the routing tables.  No
fuss, no muss, no frustration for the new user.

DD operation could operate the same way using a combination of DHCP and Dynamic
DNS with some addresses being recorded permanently for services.

Sure there are some gateway operators that have a commercial interest, charging
for gateway access or have some notion of exclusivity for their systems and
software could accommodate them as well by providing access lists and/or
exclusion lists (twit lists) that would filter on callsign fields, assuming the
callsign hasn't been pirated (which can happen on the registration system now
existent).

If it weren't for the Icom controllers, even the gateway in the second repeater
field could be done away with.  If all communications on the repeater modules
were passed to the gateway by the controller, automatically, then the gateway
could figure out where they were supposed to go.

The current system is made unduly complicated by architectural decisions that
were made that do not look at fostering usage.

-- John, K7VE