"As a user of someone else's repeater, on a regular basis, I feel I
have an obligation to voluntarily support its operation either
financially or otherwise, directly or indirectly, but as soon as there
is a mandatory fee for use, it is a business."

This is exactly the way I've fealt about several closed repeater systems.
However, the FCC does authorize closed repeaters. So, technically you could
operate a closed D*STAR repeater, but you might as well skip the Internet since
you'd be letting others link into you.