From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J. Moen
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:05 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: Purchasing a Node Adapter

I don't think what Mark Phillips G7LTT/NI2O and Fred van Kempen PA4YBR
are doing with their "Satoshi" clone boards is shady, though their
customers may end up with questionable practices.

Mark Phillips wrote this on another reflector --

"Satoshi's original design (from which mine is derived) is nothing more
than a collection of application notes for which he does not hold the
copyright to. His later designs may or may not be original work. As I
haven't seen them I cannot say but his current work does differ
significantly from mine/Fred's. Fred and I have worked together to bring
more of these boards to the masses."

Both Mark and Fred refuse to give their customers copies of Satoshi's
firmware, nor will they give information about where it can be found.
So they are not being shady, in my opinion.

I have read of people who bought an early version of the Satoshi board,
got a legal copy of the firmware, and later bought a clone board -- so
those people are also not doing anything shady.  But I have to assume
there are also people who've gotten a bootleg copy of Satoshi's
firmware.  I have chosen not to do that.

Based on Mark McGregor KB9KHM's recent note to this reflector,  "New
non-Satoshi firmware will be available 'very soon'."

So before long, in my opinion G7LTT and PA4YBR will be shipping their
"legal" boards and their own firmware.  I guess all this turbulence is
part of a natural process as D-Star takes off.  I believe the homebrew
movement will help D-Star grow and will be good for everyone who is
interested in this technology.

   Jim - K6JM