Don,

My personal recommendation is based on the following;

Do you seriously plan to get into D-Star or do you wish to just 'test the
waters'?

One thing you should consider...are you within reach of a D-Star repeater
stack? If not, then consider a DV Dongle for around $200 and utilizing the
Internet. I have one upstairs in my library to monitor and access our N4USI
stack and REF 025. The DV Dongle has fairly good resale value too.

Another option that I would highly recommend is that you search for a 'used'
IC-800H on the market (D-Star ready). They can be had for $350.00. I have two
of them. One mounted in the shack and one mounted in the car. Both work very
well for me. But remember, the IC-800H is a dual band analog/digital radio, it
will only monitor one digital side at a time. I also have a IC-2820 in my
truck.

You could just 'test the waters' with the IC-2200...however I find it very
limited in use, especially with channel memories. I have one set up in the
shack that is dedicated solely to our N4USI Port C module. It performs well and
has good audio. I do not use it on any other frequency or band. I have another
IC-800H set up in the shack dedicated to our N4USI Port B module.

If you seriously plan to get into D-Star than go with the IC-880. Your options
and versatility are much greater than the IC-2200.

Both the IC-800H and the IC-880 have good resale value on the market, should
you desire to do otherwise.

Also, think twice about attempting to program your D-Star radio via the manual
mode...get the software and do it the easy way!

Hope this helps.

73 de Scott/KT4ER
N4USI Bull Run D-Star ARG
'The Gargoyles of Bull Run Mtn.'
                &
Coordinator/Member
National Capital Region (NCR) D-Star Association

--- Begin Message ---
I am trying to decide between the Icom 2200H or the Icom 880.  The 2200
is a single band and needs the digital board for D-Star.  The 880 is a
dual band and comes D-Star ready.  The 2200 goes for around $150 and the
digital board is about $200 for a total under $400 while the 880 goes
for around $500.

My current thoughts are to get the 2200 now and the digital board later
when funds are available.

Thoughts, comments?

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU