Ah, well, welcome to Missouri (I'm on the Kansas side in the KC area).  With
a base antenna, you could probably reach the W0OMD system which is about 30
miles SE of Springfield, MO.  It is currently 2m only, but has pretty good
coverage so it might be accessible when mobile from that far out.  Check out
the D-STAR repeater map at http://jfindu.net/DSTARRepeaters.aspx to get an
idea of how the systems are spread out geographically.

As others have stated, you might consider a used ID-800H or the DV Dongle if
you're not within range of the Ozark Mountain D-STAR repeater.  Feel free to
email me directly if you need help.  I know the system admin for the W0OMD
system and I am the admin for the W0CW and K0HAM systems near Kansas City.
Good luck.