Hi Don,

For what it's worth I got started on DStar with a 2200H loaner. Then I
bought the 880.

The difference in operating is significant (at least to me). The display is
much better. On the 2200 you do not see the sending station info text like
callsign. Seems like a small thing, but I really would miss it.

I am net control for a local dstar net and we have used 'silent checkin' a
few times. Stations just key for a few seconds and net control can copy
their call from the display. Can't do that with the 2200.

Don't know your qth, but in southern Califoria it appears that all the DStar
repeaters are on the 440 band - no frequency slots available on 2 meters.
This will likely appear in other regions as well.

So, I would say go with the 880.

I will add that a friend that runs our local dstar repeater tried the 880
and did not like it. He bought another 2820 instead, although for much more
money.

73
Ted
W1GRI