Chris Fowler wrote:
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 22:52 +0000, john_ke5c wrote:
> Can you imagine how far CW, SSB, FM, PSK, etc. would have gotten if
> only one manufacturer had locked up (patented, copyrighted, whatever)
> the technology?

Has ICOM extended the spec so that Yaesu can not make a compliant radio?
Yes, the codec is locked down but I don't see what would prevent Alinco
from making a HT that can talk to an ICOM repeater.

Anyone can make a D-STAR air protocol compliant radio. If it does the air protocol correctly it should work just fine with both Icom repeaters and the other hardware and software approaches mentioned up thread.
--
John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE <http://k7ve.org>