> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
> > Has ICOM extended the spec so that Yaesu can not make a compliant radio?
> > Yes, the codec is locked down but I don't see what would prevent Alinco
> > from making a HT that can talk to an ICOM repeater.
> >
> John D. Hays wrote:
> Anyone can make a D-STAR air protocol compliant radio.  If it does the air
> protocol correctly it should work just fine with both Icom repeaters and the
> other hardware and software approaches mentioned up thread.

True, but perhaps those who could manufacture "D-STAR compliant" (or perhaps
just "DVAR") radios aren't motivated to do so if they can't compete in and
affect characteristics of the infrasturcture market - repeaters, controllers,
etc.?  It's still not an open mode like the others - AM, CW, SSB, FM, PSK, etc.

73--John