On Apr 6, 2010, at 10:40 PM, Adrian wrote:

>> What else is there to do? are people really that rude that they will jsut
>> key up and not check to see if anyone is transmitting?
>
> Good chance that those are gps(a) beacons, which a few operators run too
> frequently. 5 minute intervals is really the shortest period needed without
> upsetting the system.

I hadn't thought of that, but yes... remember that many stations on D-STAR are
running un-attended AUTOMATED data transmissions in the so-called "low-speed
data" feature of the voice transmissions.  GPS beacons are one great example.
They're not keying over you, their beacons will wait until the channel is clear
if they're set up correctly.

Also note that SOME gateway/server operators have set up some beacons from the
Gateway/Repeater system itself.  Look at the data line on your rig to see if
there's information going past other than the callsign.

W0CDS transmits a timestamp at the top of every hour on all three band modules
in order to know they're all still operating correctly, and as a mild "public
service", here locally.  If users want it disabled, we'd probably do it...
never any complaints that it was there.  It helps folks figure out where the
coverage pattern really covers too, as they travel around the area.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com