  From: Nate Duehr
  To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] DSTAR communication

  On Apr 6, 2010, at 10:40 PM, Adrian wrote:

  >> What else is there to do? are people really that rude that they will jsut
key up and not check to see if anyone is transmitting?

  > Good chance that those are gps(a) beacons, which a few operators run too
frequently. 5 minute intervals is really the shortest period needed without
upsetting the system.

  I hadn't thought of that, but yes... remember that many stations on D-STAR
are running un-attended AUTOMATED data transmissions in the so-called
"low-speed data" feature of the voice transmissions. GPS beacons are one great
example. They're not keying over you, their beacons will wait until the channel
is clear if they're set up correctly.

  Also note that SOME gateway/server operators have set up some beacons from
the Gateway/Repeater system itself. Look at the data line on your rig to see if
there's information going past other than the callsign.

  W0CDS transmits a timestamp at the top of every hour on all three band
modules in order to know they're all still operating correctly, and as a mild
"public service", here locally. If users want it disabled, we'd probably do
it... never any complaints that it was there. It helps folks figure out where
the coverage pattern really covers too, as they travel around the area.

  --
  Nate Duehr, WY0X
  n...@natetech.com