On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:19 PM, James Earl Wells wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Writing here is leg work. I do not understand you.

James,

He's just saying that when you hit "reply" on a mailing list, it's good
practice to DELETE most of the text from the other person in your reply, like
I've done here on this reply to you, to keep the reply short.

We all received both messages, so if we need to refer to the original, we
already have it.

Leaving a little text for "context" is okay, even good.  But hitting reply and
leaving all of the original text if the reply doesn't require it to understand
your message, is considered bad form.

It'd be like repeating the last guy's transmission back to him on-air, then
saying your part, then he replies on his mic by saying everything he said,
everything you added, and then added more, and back and forth like that.

Don't worry about it too much, you're doing fine for someone new to mailing
lists.  A lot of this is a mixture of Internet lore, and e-mail etiquette... or
so-called Netiquette.  Read along for a while and you'll see all sorts of
styles.  Just like listening to operators on the air.  Pick the best ones to
emulate, just like on-air...

:-)
--
Nate Duehr, WY0X