> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Robin Cotgrove
> <ro...@rjcnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Sorry guys. Swap is not the issue. We've had this
> confirmed by Oracle and I can clearly see there is
> 96GB of swap awailable on the system and ~50GB of
> main memory.
>
> By who at Oracle?  Not everyone is equally qualified.
>  I would tend to
> rust Jim Mauro (who co-wrote the books[1] on Solaris
> internals,
> performance, & dtrace) over most of the people you
> will get to through
> normal support channels.

Agreed. The normal support channel told us the GUDS script would be better to
capture the root cause over producing a memory dump.

> 1. http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Mauro/e/B001ILM8NC/
>
> How do you know that available swap doesn't
> momentarily drop?

Because I have been monitoring it during the issues with vmstat and I also
understand the workload on the platform to know that nothing is starting with
huge memory requirements suddenly. This is a VCS cluster with Oracle Database
Resource Groups. DISM usage by the various Oracle DB's is not in use as we ran
into that a bug with that some months ago. We've seen patched the system but we
don't need the use of DISM on this dev/test Oracle VCS cluster.

I've run into plenty of instances where a system has tens
> of gigabytes of
> free memory but is woefully short on reservable swap
> (virtual memory,
> as Jim approximates).  Usually "vmstat 1" is helpful
> in observing
> spikes, but as I said before this could miss very
> short spikes.  If
> you've already done this to see that swap is unlikely
> to be an issue,
> knowing that would be useful to know.  If you are
> measuring the amount
> of reservable swap with "swap -l", you are doing it
> wrong.

Agreed. I don't use it and I don't trust the output from the top utility either
:-)