on 4/23/01 9:23 AM, Tom Rymes at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hey there, folks.
>
> I have an interesting situation that has developed with an eBay auction. My
> Etherdock, which was available at
> http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1230503738&ed=987983
> 718 Ended at $410. This is obviously NOT Market value.
>
> Seems that two people bid in the $400 range at the end of the auction. One
> of whom supposedly made a mistake with the decimal place. The other pushed
> the final price up to the $400 level. The second person is a brand new user
> with '0' feedback and is a new user. All in all, this seems really sneaky
> and quite a bit on the shady side.
>
> Long story short, I am interested in selling the item to the highest
> 'reasonable' bidder, but don't want to make a misstep. The high bidder
> doesn't want the item at the high price, and the second highest bidder seems
> funky. Would this get me in some trouble?
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Tom
>
> PS: So much for eBay for being easier than selling on the list. Was this
> maybe a list-member trying to teach me a lesson? <smirk>

Always glad to see someone with such a strong sense of fairness!!

If the highest "reasonable" bid is one you'd consider close to market value,
then tell the high bidder that you believe there were errors made in the
bidding that made the price go that high and then offer her/him the 'high
reasonable bid' as the price.

I don't see what was "sneaky" or "shady", unless you think these folks were
somehow trying to create a situation where you'd end up relisting the item.
If the high bidder was the one that allegedly slipped the decimal, well
that's their responsibility and if you offer them a way out that gets them
the item at something close to a fair price, they could consider themselves
lucky.  If the high bidder was the newbie, well they could've made an honest
mistake their first time out and you'll be offering them a way out of their
bind.

Ultimately, if you can't decide, you ought to be able to consult the folks
at eBay.  I'd hope that trying to do the right thing isn't a violation of
their rules.

- Eric.