> Final courtesy of a QSO is a QSL card .... ..

That's a dated and unrealistic adage Guy.

QSLing can become quite expensive for active stations. In a single
contest I make more than a 1000 contacts. That costs around $100 just
for the cards... then there is postage on top of that.

I used to QSL 100% but can no longer afford it... I only QSL for those
who request a card.

VE2DC Mel.