From: DX4WIN [mailto:dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Björn Ekelund
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2016 12:41 AM
To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] MMTTY

Hi List,

Thank you for all the responses.

I now know %X/%e are valid macro tokens used to switch on/off FSK transmission
in the DX4Win GUI for MMTTY.

However the "ding mystery" remains unsolved.

I have made the following observations:

The loudspeaker ding is associated with using the %X token (start FSK
transmission) in a function key macro (e.g. F1). The %e (stop
transmission) creates no ding.

The actual sound made is called "Windows Background" and is also used e.g. when
changing the Windows loudspeaker volume using the mouse in the system tray.

I have confirmed the issue on three different installations; A HP Pavilion
Desktop running Swedish Windows 10, an ASUS UL-30VT Laptop running Swedish
Windows 7 and an HP Folio Laptop running English Windows 7.

The ding sound comes through Windows' general audio channel, not the
communications audio channel (which is used for e.g. the FSK audio from MMTTY).
If you use an extra sound card (like I ended up doing) the ding will come
through your loudspeakers and just annoy you.
However, more severely, if you use the PC's built-in sound card for the FSK
signal the ding will overlay with the FSK and distort the first few characters
of ALL your transmissions.

I have tried different settings in "keying setup" Alt-S with no effect.

I have tried placing the MMTTY executable in the default place (c:\program
files\mmtty instead of c:\ham\mmtty where it is installed by default) with no
effect

I have tried changing the settings on most things I find in the Preferences
drop down with no effect.

I have also played around with the standalone version of MMTTY and it shows no
such behavior (it uses backslash "\" as a token to turn on and off transmission
in function key macros.)

Am I alone in seeing this?

Björn SM7IUN