Thanks for the response Joe,

I believe your answer relates to the MMTTY GUI front end, not the
DX4WIN front end.
In that the backslash is used to switch on/off transmission and using
%X may result in an error.

However, the DX4Win GUI for MMTTY has a different set of macro
definitions and Paul KK4HD guided me
to the right spot in the help section where it says that "%capital
letter" means control character
which then mean e.g. %M=CRLF and %X is start FSK transmission.

Now, the problem is that the %X macro does two things - switch on FSK
transmission and produce a loud
"error ding" in the system sound loudspeaker.

This ding does indeed sound just like an error ding. But the %X macro
is valid and does turn on the FSK transmission.
The ding is very unfortunate if you connect your transceiver to the
PC's built in sound card, it will go straight into the air.
If you have a separate sound card for DIGIMODES then it creates an
annyoing ding in your loudspeakers instead.

So I would really like to get rid of it. If I knew how.

Thanks,

Björn SM7IUN