At 6:06 AM -0800 12/30/00, Jeff Fitzmyers wrote:
>> General reputation trackers/sellers are going to have a hard time
>> coming up with a method that works for most needs.
>
>"Any week now" there will be a general one available. Most will be
>willing to participate at least a little. The bad news is you need a
>funded e-gold account (although I just got an idea to minimize this :),
>the good news is an exchange provider (or anyone) can have a field on
>their website that says:

Disclaimer: I'm somewhat-peripherally involved in Jeff's project,
and I'm a big fan of it also. I'm speaking (as usual) only for myself
here.

>Will generating this reputation be a lot of work? No. It is a byproduct
>of a normal activity we all do.

Actually, one business (MetalSavings) appears to have operated by
the owner's individual opinion of (among other things) postings to
this list. Once, long ago, on the basis of my writings, a very interesting
person snailed me a few thousand dollars worth of really cool stuff.* I
think that I'd trust a number of list members with gold, some of whom
I've never seen/met. I suspect others feel the same way.

>ps. I really respect the way SR has handled the recent questions. I am
>sure if we had the option of privacy friendly services we all would use
>them. Instead we need to do a lot of research or create them along with
>the business we are creating too.

I think/hope that a variety of services may spring up. Some may be
cheaper, for example, in exchange for giving up your SSN or letting
others email you once in a while. I personally don't like the use of
SSNs for identification, either, but in spite of the law itself, they are
used primarily for that, and a service that's large and available and
using them now is likely to be less expensive than a new, possibly-
ideal-for-privacy-fans, service.

Sellers of privacy on the 'net have, in the past, seen disappointing
results (see ZKS) compared to expectations, and therefore buyers
of privacy should probably remember the TANSTAAFL principle.
JMR

* What was shipped to me were Comsec 3DES (now Starium.com)
telephone encryption devices. I've been testing it out, and they work
ok (but not perfectly). Needless to say, someday soon I hope these
neat little devices will be available for e-gold from someone. IMNSHO
widespread usage of these devices could solve a lot of  the privacy
problems mentioned by others recently here.

I'm still not sure on the price for these, but they won't be $99 like I'd
hoped, for the near term. I plan to buy the device I'm testing, if they
let me.