> From: "Robert S.Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:10:18 -0400
> To: "e-gold Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [e-gold-list] Re: recent discussions - need a summary

> It does depend on the type of economy of the country in question. Malaysia
> has imposed a Dollar-peg during the Asian crisis and defied Worldbank and
> IMF recommendations. Three weeks later the stock market stopped falling.
> Then real property sector came back and Malaysia returned to a postive
> trade balance.

A dollar-peg was the primary cause of the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997,
when the rising dollar value caused first a soaring value of the Thai Bhat,
which caused the crash which promptly spread to other ASEAN nations like
Malaysia, Indonesia, and S. Korea. When the fixed exchange peg finally
crumbled, the Bhat lost 40% of its value, the Korean won and the Philippine
ringgit had lost half their value versus the dollar, while the Indonesian
rupiah had lost 70% of its value. It led to a lot of economic devastation in
those countries. I wrote a term paper at the time on the causes of the Asian
Financial Crisis.

Imposing a dollar peg during the crisis might have worked for Malaysia, but
only because they had a floating exchange rate up to that point so they had
avoided the situation of their neighbors. And if Malaysia's currency had
come under pressure, the central bank can only hold up the peg until they
run out of foreign reserves, which is what happened with their neighbors.

A fixed exchange rate, while it has some benefits, is overall not a good
idea long term, especially for developing countries. The idea of a
government, and not the market, setting interest rates, exchange rates, and
money supply is folly. It may have some short term benefits at first, but
over time will lead to bad consequences on balance worse than if the free
market had been allowed to function all along.

- John
---
http://cambist.net