--
> > > Non-mathematical truth is at best a matter of perception,
> > > and at worst thinly veiled opinion, wouldn't you agree?

James A. Donald:
> > No.

Jim Davidson:
> Robert Ziegler seems to take the position that truth is a
> matter of perception or opinion.  You don't agree.
>
> I think the search for the truth is very important. It is
> also very difficult.
>
> One of the key tools we have in the search for truth is
> reason.  Another is criticism.  If we apply reason to various
> theories about the truth we can build up a better picture of
> the truth.  If we criticize these theories, especially as
> they linger about, we can replace weak theories about the
> truth with more effective ones.
>
> Actually arriving at the underlying truth or the real truth
> if you will is very difficult.

We are not discussing high energy particle physics on this
list, rather such questions as is so and so a con man, is a
certain enterprise profitable, where is the gold and who
controls it,

When Enron declared an improbable profit, one of the biggest
investors noticed a billion dollar discrepancy, and asked where
the billion dollars was, and how they got it?   These are not
issues where one need struggle deeply to find the real truth,
nor are such truths matters of opinion.

> For example, many people believe that Federal Reserve Notes
> are US dollars.

What is in a name?  Its the rose, not the name.

>  Many people believe that
> dollars are a good store of value, in spite of continuing
> evidence that inflation has eroded most of the value of the
> so-called dollar since the Federal Reserve was organized in
> 1913.

Because real interest rates on the US dollar have generally
been small and positive, while real interest rates on gold have
generally been small and negative, one should conclude that
both have been adequate stores of value.

As to which will be the better store of value over the next
week or year, that is a prediction, not a truth.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     UqnVQJivrc9uEko8IRe9zlWxYhNIJOStVrPJy/VS
     4bC2SqMtTSC2HgwjcW4tlaWIyvDqGEuSm0Lsz5z2J