Dear James,

We are not discussing high energy particle physics on this
list,

Really? Are you sure? I have three bosons which say otherwise.

 rather such questions as is so and so a con man, is a
certain enterprise profitable, where is the gold and who
controls it,

These are all aspects of money, which is the topic as declared by the moderator. I'm sure I can disuss high energy particle physics, though, and relate it to money sufficiently to get past the moderator. <smile> After all, there is that fusion codicil in the user agreement.

These are not issues where one need struggle deeply to
find the real truth, nor are such truths matters of opinion.

However, Enron was at the time issuing government registered securities. It seems important somehow to convey that point.

What is in a name? Its the rose, not the name.

Actually, it is the definition of terms. I could define a pile of crap as a rose using good old mathematical notation, but it would still smell bad.

By the way, you also misplaced your apostrophe.
"It is the rose" would be "It's the rose" whereas
what you wrote has the rose as the property of it,
or something.

When the dollar was defined to be 371.25 grains
of silver or a twentieth of an ounce of gold, as
it was from 1792 to 1933 in the case of the gold
definition, and all the way up through 1968 in
the case of silver dollar coins, the use of the
dollar was widespread because of this clear
understanding of the underlying value.

Since 1968, about 90% of the value of the dollar
has been inflated away.  One can no longer get
silver dollars with real silver in them.  One cannot
redeem Federal Reserve Note "dollars" for gold.

Because real interest rates on the US dollar have generally
been small and positive, while real interest rates on gold have
generally been small and negative, one should conclude that
both have been adequate stores of value.

Adequate for what purposes? Anyone relying on the stored value of the US dollar they had been keeping since 1968 will find that it is painfully diminished in its purchasing power.

As to which will be the better store of value over the next
week or year, that is a prediction, not a truth.

Indeed. However, science is valued for its ability to predict. So, economics which have predictive value are likely to be valued.

Regards,

Jim
 http://www.ezez.com/

--- You are currently subscribed to e-gold-list as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.