> The truth is that gold is an objective value, a
> true store of wealth.  It may be barbaric in the
> Latin sense.  Celts and Gauls and other breeds
> of "homo indomitus" were fond of gold torcs
> which they wore at all times to indicate their
> ability to create and store wealth.  Homo
> indomitus is Latin for "undominated man."  So,
> in that sense, the metal is very barbaric.

What makes gold have objective value?

Because humans have a fondness for it?  That sounds very subjective to me.

Because its pretty?  Subjective again

Because its the traditional store of value?  In another thousand years,
will the dollar become traditional?  if its still around..

Because its rare?  Things can be rare but that doesn't mean they have
objective value.  Forexample, my work hours are rare... only 50 or so of
those available per week but there is no fixed value of them.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as objective value.  Valuation of
anything is based on how much somebody else is willing to pay for it.
Therefore its all subjective.  Forexample: To a hungry-broke man standing
outside a food market, 30 dollars may be more valuable then a 10th of a
gram of gold.  Yet obviously, you would rather have the 10th of a gram of
gold.

   Khurram Khan