Hi André,

On Mar 10, 2016, at 12:29 PM, André Gemünd <andre.gemu...@scai.fraunhofer.de>
wrote:
> Regarding installation: is it possible to put a default configuration file in
> the installation tree of EasyBuild? We are several users that deploy
> software, and the systems used to build vary as well. I'd prefer not to
> configure these nodes differently for that or have different settings based
> on user accounts. I'm now setting INSTALLPATH_SOFTWARE, INSTALLPATH_MODULES,
> SOURCEPATH, etc. in a profile.d script, which I then need to deploy
> everywhere. I think this is needlessly complicated, if all I would need is
> for easybuild to parse a config file in its install path?

Considering EASYBUILD_CONFIGFILES?

If you go down the path of having a customised EasyBuild modulefile, you will
eventually get in trouble
by users who install newer EB versions (OK, they _should_ know better that it
is it’s not too “easy" ;)

If you would hardwire variables under /etc/profile.d some things will work,
yet shell inheritance would prevent free user customisation of these values :-(
.

There is a better way!

Relying upon Lmod, of Robert McLay’s fame ;)

So, an alternative approach might be to rely on default sticky Lmod modules,
via LMOD_SYSTEM_DEFAULT_MODULES, fi. roughly as described in:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lmod/mailman/message/32783610/

The advantage of that technique is that it turns everything representable via
variables
uniformly available across all users (who may still opt-out of it) at first
shell invocation.
As a bonus, you’d now have a great mechanism to define $SCRATCH, $ARCHIVE etc.

And if you follow that thread carefully, you will also notice that the
Lmod-based mechanism
even allows for restorable alias definitions (one more bonus - slash that
.bashrc pollution!).

enjoy,
Fotis

--
echo "sysadmin know better bash than english" | sed s/min/mins/ \