On 12/03/16 10:07, Fotis Georgatos wrote:
Hi André,

On Mar 11, 2016, at 5:01 PM, André Gemünd <andre.gemu...@scai.fraunhofer.de>
wrote:
Great. And what do people do when Intel releases Update 3 shortly after? As I
said, its probably more a question of best-practice. Do you skip these
versions? Or just update them without using EasyBuild? And if there is an
EasyConfig using an older release, do you stay with the one thats referenced in
the file for better reproducability (or some other reason), or simply modify it?
The approach which I follow is to rely on buildsets (say,
/opt/apps/HPCBIOS.20160312) and
simply invent a new buildsets when sufficient planets align (new configs, new
version of EB etc).
More broadly, easyconfigs normally trickle up in the food chain like:
user’s->group’s->system's
I think you question is more about how do you manage the system’s area, right?

Fotis

p.s. @ Kenneth:
I can see a more generic need here to swap our notes about what works, what
doesn’t and how
in managing easyconfigs, so how about feeding this topic in one of our next
30min hangouts?

Sure, remind me when I poll for topics for the next conf call.

For people interested in how other sites are using EasyBuild, see these videos from the EasyBuild User Meeting last January:

* IT4Innovations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxS1EPqFHYc
* Jülich Supercomputer Centre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7D2FkDLHtk

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a 'best practices' section in the EasyBuild documentation at http://easybuild.readthedocs.org ?

regards,