Hi André,

Let me pitch in too.

But first of all: welcome to the wonderful world of EasyBuild! :-)

On 10/03/16 13:29, André Gemünd wrote:
Hi EasyBuilders,

I'm new to EasyBuild and have a few questions. Let me say that maybe I'm just a
bit confused here, so I apologize if these questions sound a bit daft. ;)

Regarding installation: is it possible to put a default configuration file in
the installation tree of EasyBuild? We are several users that deploy software,
and the systems used to build vary as well. I'd prefer not to configure these
nodes differently for that or have different settings based on user accounts.
I'm now setting INSTALLPATH_SOFTWARE, INSTALLPATH_MODULES, SOURCEPATH, etc. in
a profile.d script, which I then need to deploy everywhere. I think this is
needlessly complicated, if all I would need is for easybuild to parse a config
file in its install path?
All details/options w.r.t. configuring EasyBuild are documented at http://easybuild.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Configuration.html .

What you may be look for is configuration files, i.e. http://easybuild.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Configuration.html#configuration-file-s . EasyBuild will pick up configuration files in /etc/easybuild.d/*.cfg, among other locations, so maybe you want to specify configuration options specific to the system there?

I tried to install intel-2015b.eb today, and found that it uses e.g. ccomp
2015.3.187, while intel already provides 2015.6.233. Now, should I copy the
existing easyconfig from folder A to folder B, edit it, then run the install?
For that, do I really need to search the
lib/python-xy/site-packages/xyz-xyz-py2.7-egg/easybuild/easyconfigs/letter/name/version
 path, or is there some more comfortable way? It seems a bit cumbersome. Then,
is the robot path what I'm looking for for folder B? I'm a bit confused by the
name robot path, if its actually the easyconfig path?
Or do you guys work on a git clone of the easyconfig repo as robot path? I
guess this would make pull requests for changes a lot easier.

Different people have different approaches, you'll need to figure out what works best for you.

Again, the documentation should help, cfr.: http://easybuild.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Using_the_EasyBuild_command_line.html#controlling-robot-search-path.

For the latest (typically already well tested) easyconfigs, see the 'develop' branch in the GitHub repository, i.e. https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-easyconfigs/tree/develop/easybuild/easyconfigs . Like Alan mentioned, we have more recent compositions of the Intel toolchain there, and there's also two open pull requests for the very latest versions (2016 update2), one on top of GCC 4.9.3 (https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-easyconfigs/pull/2620), one on top of GCC 5.3.0 (https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-easyconfigs/pull/2524). Note: both of these use the newer/latest binutils 2.26.

I'm not sure yet if these will make it into the upcoming EasyBuild v2.7.0 release, I need to revisit them and maybe do some more testing beyond just HPL.

regards,

Kenneth