Bill asks:

> In the recent discussion of biofuels, there seems to be a consensus that
> producing ethanol from corn has serious adverse consequences both
ecological
> and economic. However I have not seen anyone address the broader question
> what alternatives we have in the long run. Fossil fuels will eventually run
> out - oil in a century or so at most, coal in several centuries - and while
> there may be some wonderous new technology to fill the gap, we cannot count
> on that. I suspect that combustible fuels will always be with us, and I
> wonder what they will be.

Ultimately, hydrogen will be the transportable, combustible fuel that we will
use. It is essentially an inexhaustable, infinitely recyclable, completely
non-polluting fuel source (at least at its point of combustion).

The only reason that hydrogen is not used now is its higher cost, vis-a-vis
fossil fuels (including the enormous infrastructure changeover costs). But we
have the technology in hand now to use it efficiently and well. Indeed, we went
to the Moon on hydrogen, combusting it both at high temperatures in the
second and third stages of the Saturn V rockets and at low temperatures in the
fuel
cells of the service propulsion stage, where it produced not only electricity
but drinking water as well.

Burning any other, more complex molecule only adds a mix of polluting
combustion products to the atmosphere. With hydrogen, the only "pollutant" is
water.

Wirt Atmar