I would echo the comments of Mr. Aney.  Ironically, the older Subaru's
(i.e., 1987) get better mileage, and have the option of dropping into
4-low, which is lost on newer models which don't even have real 4WD.  I
would qualify this statement by saying that I have owned 4 different
Subaru wagons spanning the ages of 1987-1996, and by whatever reason, the
1987 wagon with real 4 WD and the horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine
got the best mileage and did the best in the field (opposed to newer
models with AWD which only engage when rear has lost traction and it is
too late, and you're already slipping...), in all manner of field
situations (believe me... I tested them!).

In ideal monetary situations, I would recommend remodeling a fleet of
'80's Subaru Brats for field work (that's a partial joke, I hope you enjoy
the partial humor), but since that is unreasonable, the newer Subarus seem
to work OK, but I would highly recommend a vehicle with real 4WD (a light
duty truck) for light hauling in unstable terrain, deep mud, snow greater
than 15", or ice (if you don't have chains on all fours).  The weight
placement in the Subarus seems to be adequate (in the front), but the AWD
engagement in newer models has often gotten me in trouble in situations
with snow, ice, or mud.

This probably isn't news to most, but that's my $0.02

Please feel free to ask me any questions about my experiences (though I'm
not a mechanic by any means).
-Evan

> Some questions and suggestions based on a long experience with off-highway
> travel for professional purposes:
>
> Are you going to be driving on snow-covered or muddy roads?  If so, then
> you
> need something with higher road clearance such as a compact 4WD pickup or
> 2WD pickup with chains -- some of the smaller pickups get fairly good
> mileage (approaching 20 mpg) especially the 2WDs, and the most reliable
> brands are Toyota and Nissan. King cabs give you some cab cargo or
> passenger
> space.  Canopies give you lots of protected cargo space.  Resale value is
> usually quite good.
>
> Is your off-highway driving mostly on dry gravel or dirt roads with
> occasional steep, sandy or rocky stretches?  Then a small SUV such as the
> Subaru Forester is a good choice -- fair ground clearance, all wheel drive
> when needed, and some cargo space.  The Honda SUV is good but does not
> have
> very much ground clearance -- more of an improved road vehicle.  These all
> get around 25 mpg if driven conservatively.
>
> Interestingly, the older models of these vehicles (up to around 2001) get
> better mileage than the newer ones, but these are very hard to find.
>
> Warren W. Aney
> Senior Wildlife Ecologist
> Tigard, OR

Phone: 517.353.2953