I have worked in the field both in the US and in Central and South America.
Of all the vehicles I have used, the Toyota Tacoma would be the best option.
Small truck, reliable the engine is not that big so mileage is not that
bad and excellent in the mud> I have made the diesels go trough stuff
that I was 100% percent sure I would have to winch myself out of. The
Subarus are ok but if you want cargo capacity you should consider the
Tacoma. The 4WD double cab, diesel would be my choice. This is work horse.

Cheers,
Naikoa