Robert (and listserv members),

Here is my two cents worth after years of working (and playing) in the western
US.

My recommendation is that if you need to move mainly people with little gear
over good dirt roads with little actual 4WD use, get a hybrid SUV and try to
stick to a Japanese brand.? (Jeeps?may also be a good choice.)??While these
SUVs have better gas mileage, they will never have the all-around usefulness of
a 4WD pickup.

If you need a stouter vehicle that can handle any manner of field gear (think
gassy chainsaws or predator bait) and is?capable off road, then you need a 4WD
pickup truck.? I know many will disagree, but gas mileage is not at the top of
the priority list, field worthiness is.? (Choose a fuel efficient daily driver
if you are worried about gas mileage-it is where you can make the most
impact.)? In my mind the optimal field vehicle would be a 2003-2004 Toyota
Tacoma 4 door with 4WD.? The bed is short, but with a topper can hold quite a
bit and you can always attach a roof rack.? Nissan makes a similar 4 door
pickup.? Sadly, the 4 door Tacoma was only offered as an automatic
transmission, but this really isn't an off road?problem unless you need to roll
start the vehicle.? Stay away from older Toyota LandCruisers etc unless you are
prepared for them to need lots of maintenance and?fail emission controls (if
you have them in your community).? A 4 cylinder engine is more fuel effi!
 cient that a 6, but with a serious loss of power.? You need to ask yourself if
you will ever need to tow a trailer or if a 4 cylinder can handle mountain
grades with a loaded bed and 4 adults inside.

Another option if you think you would be willing to sacrifice 4WD for gas
mileage (I never would), and can find a 2WD 4 door pickup, is you could have a
differential lock installed in the rear differential.? This would add
negligible weight and would make the truck nearly as capable as a 4WD.

Sincerely,
James

James P. Riser II
Plant Biologist