Honorable Forum, Warren, and Andy:

Please believe me, I do not want to start a head-butting session, only to suggest how the terminology might be tightened--that is, how crucial distinctions might be made where present terminology tends to depend upon interpretation to the point of confusion.

"We" have, over the years, come to broaden the term "landscape" to include both ecosystems and assemblages of plants arranged for aesthetic satisfaction (not to mention farms, pastures, woodlots, "viewsheds," paintings of the preceeding, etc.). It is ironic, especially to ecologists, that ecosystem should be subordinated into one of those "landscape" categories. But subordinating "landscape" into ecosystem wouldn't be valid either.

No doubt this problem (implication and interpretation via author intent, not to mention presumption which may or may not align with the author's true meaning) will persist in the broader lexicon, but there might be some chance of avoiding confusion about the technical differences should the profession at large reach some agreement about more precise definitions and encourage authors (via peer review and editing) to be more precise in usage or to make it a practice to define terms when the issue arises.

Many years ago (my publication list is lost, so I can't cite it or even remember the title, only that it was some meeting in Berkeley) I suggested that the term "landscape" should be reserved for artificial assemblages of plants (dependent upon human intent, and replacing or displacing an ecosystem) as is the practice in landscape architecture. This would be "technically" valid, as the term is derived from "land" and the Old Dutch "skep," meaning "to scrape," or "to hack," as I recall.

"Ecosystem" should be reserved for any group of organisms that interact with each other and their environment in the absence of extra-system intentional (human) control.

As to "created" wetlands, the intent, dependency, and control determinants should serve to distinguish those which require artificial support and those which are self-sustaining, just as any natural wetland would be. For example, my backyard pond requires my intentional intervention for its "MAINTENANCE;" a "pond" behind a dam may or may not be maintained. If the ponds in question require intentional external inputs for their sustenance they are artificial "landscapes;" if they are self-sustaining, they are ecosystems. Of course, even created habitats are characterized by species interactions with each other and their created and maintained environments, and it that sense are CONDITIONAL ecosystems. Any system that lacks internal integrity cannot be considered an ecosystem in the same sense as one that is fully integrated and self-sufficient.

Whether a "quake lake" or a "lake" created by a human-constructed dam, both are subject to the same rules of nature. The important distinction is whether or not continued external inputs are required for their existence. Nature changes, lakes and ponds and all habitats change, come and go. The distinguishing characteristic of a landscape is that when the external management that maintains it is withdrawn, it will not remain in the fixed state its "creator" intended. So some "created" wetlands should be considered ecosystems and others artifices, dependent upon the intent and supervision of their creators, and others ecosystems, even though humans may have altered the earth to enable one habitat to be replaced with another. This goes for lawns and forests too. Some pastures and woodlots (or other "managed" biological assemblages), once abandoned, will transform-that is the central point of validation.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Warren W. Aney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>