Greetings

  Prompted by the memory of a truck backing up to a natural lake in Colorado to
dump a flood of fish into the lake in preparation for the weekend anglers -
utilizing your definitions, would this natural lake be a conditional ecosystem?

  Colleen Grant

Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Honorable Forum, Warren, and Andy:

Please believe me, I do not want to start a head-butting session, only to
suggest how the terminology might be tightened--that is, how crucial
distinctions might be made where present terminology tends to depend upon
interpretation to the point of confusion.

"We" have, over the years, come to broaden the term "landscape" to include
both ecosystems and assemblages of plants arranged for aesthetic
satisfaction (not to mention farms, pastures, woodlots, "viewsheds,"
paintings of the preceeding, etc.). It is ironic, especially to ecologists,
that ecosystem should be subordinated into one of those "landscape"
categories. But subordinating "landscape" into ecosystem wouldn't be valid
either.

No doubt this problem (implication and interpretation via author intent, not
to mention presumption which may or may not align with the author's true
meaning) will persist in the broader lexicon, but there might be some chance
of avoiding confusion about the technical differences should the profession
at large reach some agreement about more precise definitions and encourage
authors (via peer review and editing) to be more precise in usage or to make
it a practice to define terms when the issue arises.

Many years ago (my publication list is lost, so I can't cite it or even
remember the title, only that it was some meeting in Berkeley) I suggested
that the term "landscape" should be reserved for artificial assemblages of
plants (dependent upon human intent, and replacing or displacing an
ecosystem) as is the practice in landscape architecture. This would be
"technically" valid, as the term is derived from "land" and the Old Dutch
"skep," meaning "to scrape," or "to hack," as I recall.

"Ecosystem" should be reserved for any group of organisms that interact with
each other and their environment in the absence of extra-system intentional
(human) control.

As to "created" wetlands, the intent, dependency, and control determinants
should serve to distinguish those which require artificial support and those
which are self-sustaining, just as any natural wetland would be. For
example, my backyard pond requires my intentional intervention for its
"MAINTENANCE;" a "pond" behind a dam may or may not be maintained. If the
ponds in question require intentional external inputs for their sustenance
they are artificial "landscapes;" if they are self-sustaining, they are
ecosystems. Of course, even created habitats are characterized by species
interactions with each other and their created and maintained environments,
and it that sense are CONDITIONAL ecosystems. Any system that lacks
internal integrity cannot be considered an ecosystem in the same sense as
one that is fully integrated and self-sufficient.

Whether a "quake lake" or a "lake" created by a human-constructed dam, both
are subject to the same rules of nature. The important distinction is
whether or not continued external inputs are required for their existence.
Nature changes, lakes and ponds and all habitats change, come and go. The
distinguishing characteristic of a landscape is that when the external
management that maintains it is withdrawn, it will not remain in the fixed
state its "creator" intended. So some "created" wetlands should be
considered ecosystems and others artifices, dependent upon the intent and
supervision of their creators, and others ecosystems, even though humans may
have altered the earth to enable one habitat to be replaced with another.
This goes for lawns and forests too. Some pastures and woodlots (or other
"managed" biological assemblages), once abandoned, will transform-that is
the central point of validation.

WT