Re: "I'm not against artificial wetlands, indeed they have tremendous use in wastewater treatment and habitat creation, but quite often the language equating different forms of wetlands is diffuse."

Exactly. The question remains: What terminology will be used to draw crucial and relevant distinctions (as in golf-course wetlands versus swamps and prairie potholes, for example)? Lacking terminology that is universally accepted, the practice of definition of terms upon each occasion of use will be necessary.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amartya Saha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Ecosystems and faux ecosystems Re: [ECOLOG-L] Wetland creation

Hi Bill, the answer might depend on the spatial extent and intensity of the fire ( assuming that the fire happens in a fireprone ecosystem, where fires have been natural occurances as well), if there has been active fire suppresion in the area allowing fuel buildup, and so on. If an arson fire got out of control and burned a whole ecological reserve down, including islands of vegetation that are normally safe from groundlevel fires, then it would be destruction. Whether that destruction is reversible would depend upon the success of species coming in from the surroundings to recolonize. Now, if this supposedly arson fire were actually caused by lightening, and if the area has seen fire suppresion for decades, the fuel buildup could cause a much hotter fire than normally would be the case. Then it would also be seen as destruction ( the management leading to fire suppresion ). If the area has had no intervention in the form of fire suppresion or hydrological modifications leading to drier conditions, then it would be a natural process...

To Jer's comment
"Find out which ecosystem we have degraded/destroyed most over the years and you will probably find the ecosystem most often "restored"."

Its a bit hard to do that, since barring a few isolated spots on the globe, almost all ecosystems have been degraded/destroyed, and not much restored.

And to the original idea of thread, i do not know the extent of artificial wetlands, but like Wayne, I'd like to point out that too often the general public ( developers, polititians and the like ) glibly equate a created wetland with one that has been in place for centuries or even longer. Rarely can an artificial wetland approach the species diversity and resilience of a natural wetland (in the same bioregion) in the early ( read that as 20 years, my guess), and the rate at which diversity builds up would depend on the existence and proximity of other wetlands for colonizing species to arrive, succession to take place, hydrological inputs and outputs that maintain the wetland ( as opposed to succeeding to a bog and then land ), and so on...there lies the most severe criticism of the "no net loss" policy of wetland mitigation. I"m not against artificial wetlands, indeed they have tremendous use in wastewater treatment and habitat creation, but quite often the language equating different forms of wetlands is diffuse.

cheers
amartya

William Silvert wrote:
A question comes to mind. If an area is burned to the ground as a result of human carelessness, would we consider it degraded or destroyed? But if we then find that the fire was actually started by lightning, and the natural cycle that involves the return of nutrients to the soil and even the release of seeds that only sprout when burnt, would we change our view?

Bill Silvert

----- Original Message ----- From: "JEREMIAH M YAHN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>