Dear All,

I agree completely with Kevin that reviewers should sign their review. That's what I started to do and I will not make any reviews for journals that insist that I stay anonymous. From my point of view the problem is that some colleagues hide in anonymity and provide reviews that are not adequate (e.g. impolite, unsubstantiated criticism). Another problem in this context are the editors. I think it is their responsibility to check if a review is adequate. However, my experience is rather that most editors just pass the review to me and I just wonder what kind of reviews I receive. In many cases there is absolutely no quality control regarding the reviews. From many journals I also never get a feedback about my review, nor do I receive the reports of the other reviewers. This makes it impossible for me to evaluate if my review was in concordance with the other reviewers.

Regarding the anonymity of the author, I think both sides (author and reviewer) should be named, the system should be as transparent as possible. Unfortunately, it is currently not transparent at all.

Cheers,

Marc

Kevin Murray wrote:
Off the point here, but I think that the anonymity should be reversed.
Authors should be anonymous and reviewers should be named.

Start a peer review revolution...sign all of your reviews!!!

Regarding YOUR own reviews. It seems that, if they are anonymous, then
posting should be ok. If the reviewer is named, however, you should not
post. No laws or moral values were consulted in regards to this email.

KLM

Interesting -- I'm primarily interested in reviews YOU receive on your
own submitted manuscript (which, 99% of the time, you don't know who
they are from) -- are you allowed to post these in any public forum?
Since the reviews cannot be linked back to an individual (unless that
individual steps forward and takes credit for it), and it is a
criticism of your own work, it seems like one should feel free to post
these if you want.  I was interested in compiling the types of reviews
people get on manuscripts for teaching purposes, so I'm trying to find
out if its legit for people to share these reviews with me if they end
up going out into the public (e.g. on a website)?

--j

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Jonathan Greenberg <jgrn...@gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Christopher Brown <cabr...@tntech.edu>