Dear all,

I think that authors should be anonymous.  This prevent reviewers from looking
at the names of authors and forming a preconception about the paper before it
is even read.  I think that this is particularly important in the cases where
very well-known authors submit articles. They are given the benefit of the
doubt before the paper is even read.

 Having said that, it is often fairly simple to at least guess the group of
authors or the lab based on the sites or material being discussed.   The same
can often be said for the reviewers themselves based on who you recommended as
a reviewer and the types of comments you get in return.

The idea behind anonymous reviews is that you can feel free to give your honest
opinion without offending the authors or burning potential collaborative
bridges in the future.  I agree with having reviews be anonymous.

I also agree with previous statements that the editors should make sure that
reviews are reasonable before sending them back to authors.

As a reviewer, I would also appreciate getting feedback back from the editor as
to the quality of my review and whether it was adequate.  We all start
reviewing manuscripts with only the previous experience of having been reviewed
to guide us.  I think we could all benefit from constructive criticism
regarding the reviews we send out.

Meaghan