On the other hand, if the reviewers are anonymous, the authors should be,
too.  I think transparency is a bad thing, in this case; I think reviews
should be double-blind.

While reviewer anonymity allows reviewers to be impolite and harsh, it also
protects them from retribution for simply being honest when a paper is bad.
Yes, scientists should all be mature enough to accept a negative review
without trying to punish the reviewer, but some just aren't up to that
challenge (if you can't think of a way for one scientist to punish another,
or if you can't think of a scientist who would do such a thing, you can't be
trying that hard).  Even if you can't imagine deliberately punishing someone
for their review, you must be able to imagine being miffed at a colleague
who gives your paper a bad review, or having them be miffed at you, even if
the bad review is merited.  That's an incentive to be polite, sure, but also
an incentive to let things slide that shouldn't be allowed to slide.  I
think the benefits of reviewer anonymity outweigh the costs.

Author anonymity would have a similar advantage:  it would make it
harder for reviewers to pan someone's work just because they don't
personally like the author, or to reward their friends with favorable
reviews.  Obviously, if the reviewer is quite familiar with the author's
other work, it is possible to identify the author by writing style, study
system, and hypotheses raised, but any uncertainty about the authorship of
a paper under review should go one step toward dissuading reviewers from
letting personal feelings hold too much sway over their judgement.

Author anonymity could also prevent reviewers from judging authors and their
works harshly based on their earlier submission of an unpublishable paper.
If you thought someone's submitted paper was a real dog, you might not think
much of their intelligence, and you'd give less credence to anything else
they said subsequently.  If the author were genuinely a poor scientist,
you'd be ahead of the game by learning to doubt them early on, but if they
were a solid researcher, and their name were on a bad paper for any of a
hundred other possible reasons, you'd be cheating yourself by selling them
short.

(Sorry for taking another step down this tangental path.  Also, I wish our
language had a singular pronoun for a person of unspecified sex.)

Jim Crants