There is a paper by Halliday and Jaeger published in Herpetologica
some years ago that is central to this discussion.  It discusses the
differences between explorative and confirmative research.  Most
scientists spend their time doing confirmative research, which is
hypothesis testing.  However, explorative research ends with the
development of new hypotheses.  When we examine much descriptive
research it ends with proposed hypotheses in need of testing.

Jaeger, R.G., and T.R. Halliday.  1998. On confirmatory versus
exploratory research. Herpetologica 54(Suppl): S64-S66.

It discusses the question very thoroughly and effectively.  Its a must
read for new graduate students!!!

Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not