Hi Jeff,

Prediction and understanding are actually very different things and
being good at one doesn't necessarily imply being good at the other.
An example from the book _Foresight and Understanding_ by Stephen
Toulmin: the Babylonians had no concept of the heliocentric solar
system but they were quite good at predicting the movements of planets
in the night sky. In fact, even after Newton, it took quite a while
for astronomical tables based on a real understanding of the solar
system to catch up to the accuracy of those made by the old method,
which took no understanding at all. On the other hand, if a system
exhibits chaotic behavior, long-term prediction is impossible -- but
we can certainly understand the dynamics.

Best,
Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"