Ecolog-L,

Way back when the question about hypothesis testing in ecology was first posed
to the group, one of the questions was whether anyone had rejected projects or
grant proposals for lack of hypotheses. The discussion has gone on while I
thought about posting a response to that, but with Jane Shevtsov's prodding, I
offer the following thoughts on hypothesis testing and research.

For some years I was on a committee to review and select graduate student
research proposals for grant support for a regional botanical organization at
the same time that I was involved in evaluating proposals for small contracts
from my office which is focused on rare species and uncommon natural
communities in the state. (I stress the research grants vs. contracts; and I am
no longer on the committee which no doubt has different biases from mine, and
my office doesn't have money for small contracts like we used to).

On the grad research committee, I was far more likely to approve proposals for
consideration if a hypothesis was stated, and I  tended to veto projects that
didn't do that. For example, I think that pure survey of a property for species
(making a list of all the species of some taxonomic group) encountered isn't
research, but such a project can be developed and proposed in ways that has
research in it (effects of land use history, recreation, management...). If a
student wanted to inventory a property as a research project, as someone
funding grants I wanted the reasons given for why that property is worth the
effort and what will be done with the results. I recall one otherwise quite
good proposal I didn't consider because it just said that the property was
interesting and the nonprofit owning it should know what was on it. I wanted to
be shown what assumptions are being made (those should be stated as hypotheses
to be tested in a proposal for a research grant), predictions!
  of where differences might be and why and expectations that post inventory
analyses would be undertaken.

However, some of the projects that I rejected as not being research might well
have been fundable (I think some were) by my office where we want to know what
rare species are in particular places, and what is rare. We have funded
contracts for surveys for particular taxonomic groups in general as well others
focused on rare species/natural communities along rivers, on particular
properties, and so on. I think these general surveys are valuable, but they
don't overtly involve hypotheses and testing. However, it can and does include
assumptions/hypotheses; as one of the posters on the topic pointed out there
are always assumptions made. One doesn't walk every square inch of a site,
rather picks areas (from aerials, maps, knowledge, observations when out there)
places that are most likely to be different/interesting (have rare things).

So my thinking back when I was on the grad research committee was that for an
inventory to be research and worth funding with a grant, the proposal had to
clearly state hypotheses to be tested, and better, to discuss (yes, in only 2
pages) underlying assumptions going into the project. Maybe some of what I was
after was an overt awareness of the questions and assumptions involved in
setting up the project. And some idea of expected analysis of the results.

My convoluted discussion summarizes to 'yes, I rejected proposals that didn't
have hypotheses stated'.

Pat
Patricia Swain, Ph.D.
Community Ecologist
Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program
Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife
1 Rabbit Hill Road
Westborough, MA 01581
508-389-6352    fax 508-389-7891
http://www.nhesp.org