Dear list members,

- Some people now are talking about "question-driven research" as the same as "hypothesis- riven research". Those are 2 different things. I think every research could be based on a question, even if you are making a species list of an area, "what butterflies species occur in this area?".

- I believe most people are confusing what is a scientific hypothesis. A scientific hypothesis is about a process (how a system works), usually answering the question why or how, and rooted on theory. You see the pattern that a bird migrate, that is the pattern, now you need to answer why and how the bird migrate, but your hypothesis need to be grounded in theory.

- Is very common to see statement starting like, "I hypothesize ..." and people think that they are establishing and testing an hypothesis. For example, "I hypothesize that more carnivores species would occur on mature forest than succesional forests". That is not a scientific hypothesis, that is a pattern that could be stated as a prediction from a scientific hypothesis and also could be stated as a statistical hypothesis. I don't even know what is the scientific hypothesis behind that statement.

- What many people are doing in ecology is parameter estimation:

You can have an occupancy model like this: Frog species occupancy ~ Percentage of forest cover + Temperature + Altitude. You are not strictly testing any scientific hypothesis either, you already know that the frog species occurrence is influenced by forest cover, temperature and altitude. What you are trying to do is parameter estimation, trying to see the effect size and what are the kind of relationships among species occurrence and those variables and you can see variable interactions if you fit an interaction model.

I just read on another list that a person want to test the null hypothesis that a frog species does not occur at random in an area. You don't need to spend any funding answering that question. Everybody knows that the frog species is not going to be distributed at random in an area.

- To suggest testing scientific hypothesis in ecology under a Popperian approach is misleading. most of the time See:

Quinn, J. F. and Dunham, A. E. 1983. On hypothesis testing in ecology and evolution. - The American Naturalist 122: 602-617.

Loehle, C. 1987. Hypothesis testing in ecology: Psychological aspects and the importance of theory maturation. Quarterly Review of Biology, 62:397--409.

- If you are still thinking that null hypothesis significant testing and P values are useful in ecology, you may want to read:

Anderson, D. R., K. P. Burnham, and W. L. Thompson. 2000. Null hypothesis testing: problems, prevalence, and an alternative. Journal of Wildlife Management 64:912-923.

Hobbs , N. T., and R. Hilborn. 2006. Alternatives to statistical hypothesis testing in ecology: A guide to self teaching. Ecological Applications 16:5-19.

Johnson, D. H. 1999. The Insignificance of Statistical Significance Testing. Journal of Wildlife Management 63(3):763-772.

Best,

Manuel