I have to agree with Christopher B. on his points.  Stating unequivocally
(if not dogmatically) that work that isn't hypothesis-driven is NOT research
simply doesn't correspond to the meaning of "research" if we look it up in a
dictionary.  Granted, specialized fields such as ecology may redefine
English words to suit their special purpose, but I am certainly not aware
that consensus within ecology has emerged to justify such restricted usage.
        An earlier poster pointed out that if a granting agency only wants
to fund hypothesis-driven research, one should heed that when applying for
their funds.  This is not a comment on the value of different approaches to
research; it's just a pragmatic meeting of requirements.  This touches on
the fact, also addressed by Christopher B's comments, that science,  by its
nature, is not an individual enterprise.  The knowledge base drawn upon, the
resources made available, and the consequences of outcomes, all function at
the level of large institutions or all of society.  We are all drawing from
a common pool and are all contributing to the pool.  Funding agencies are a
mechanism to evaluate and reward certain types of contributions, but people
within a particular agency shouldn't imagine that their agency speaks for
all of science.
        Some individuals, because of habit, training, temperament, and
intellectual styles may wish to focus on one type of research (say, rigorous
hypothesis testing) and others prefer another type, say exploration and data
gathering without a-priori expectations.  This diversity is good; let each
individual function in the niche to which he/she is most suited or most
enjoys.  It's fine if some of us just publish observations if others of us
can use those observations.
         It is up to higher-level control mechanisms (or an "invisible
hand," as in economics) to make the most use of these contributions, to
bring together people and data that reinforce one another, and to provide
nudges in useful directions.  As has been pointed out by other posters, what
is most valuable may change as a field or sub-field matures, or as society's
needs change, but there's still room for everyone.  I think this is
especially true when we consider how new information technology can get more
data before more people, even data that were gathered a hundred years ago.
              Martin Meiss