Is it not true that in attempting to say something about environmental
influence on barnacle biology, Darwin realized he did not know enough about
barnacles to use them as a model for his theories?  Thus arose one of the most
famous and definitive  studies of any time about the morphology and biology of
a large taxon.

At least an old story makes that claim.

mcneely

--