Dear list members,

My comments on (scientific) hypothesis testing have been based on the following definition of hypothesis:

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observable phenomenon.

Clearly, any published article that mention the word "hypothesis" not necessarily was testing a true scientific hypothesis. Is it common to read:

We tested the hypothesis that survival rate of male mountain lions was greater than female mountain lions in Yellowstone National Park. That is not a true hypothesis, there is no explanation involved.

My questions now are (in the good spirit of a positive discussion):

How much we know about what an hypothesis is?

How much training on philosophy of science ecologists have?

I am sending the link of an article where the authors propose to abandon the idea of testing hypothesis (http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(08)00953-7). One of the author is a professor in the Department of Philosophy at Harvard University. The title of the article: A Brief History of the Hypothesis.

They propose to work on questions and models.

"We propose that building hypotheses should be abandoned in favor of posing a straightforward question of a system and then receiving an answer, using that answer to model reality, and then testing the reproducibility and predictive power of the model, modifying it as necessary."

"It is better to see science as a quest for good questions to try to answer, rather than a quest for bold hypotheses to try to refute."

Interestingly, in the article they mention that even Newton was not a follower of working with hypothesis.

Best,

Manuel

--
*Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.*
Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre