I've been meaning to comment here too.

When I teach statistics, my goal is to give the graduate students a
"toolbox" if you will, of useful ways to test ideas.  More complex
statistics comes later.  In teaching, I use the idea of testing hypotheses,
with a very important caveat.  Both, null and alternative hypotheses have to
be biologically sensible and biologically possible.  I know I find many
published papers that gloss over the null, but it turns out, on deeper
inspection, that it was not a possibility and so refuting it was
unavoidable.

Apply that idea, that the null also must be reasonable, logical and
possible, and you may find that many null hypotheses are none of those.

Jim