Perhaps I missed it in this discussion, but I haven't seen any reference to differences in how easily hypotheses can be formulated in different cases.

In studying a series of similar systems, such as a series of glacial lakes, it is easy to formulate hypotheses based on the idea that there are similarities between them. But when sending an ROV into a deep trench what is the basis for formulating a useful hypothesis?

When it comes to hypothesis testing in ecology, I don't think that one standard can be applied to all systems.

Bill Silvert