Personal anecdote:

While conducting part of a workshop for HS teachers, I gave them 20 minutes of
my freshman Intro Bio lecture on basic chemistry concepts (what's an atom, what
are the types of molecular bonds, the really simple stuff that I shouldn't have
to cover in college).

After the 20 minutes, there was silence.  The teachers were astonished - not
that I would lecture on such elementary ideas (as I had expected), but that it
went so fast.  One of them said, "What you just covered in 20 minutes is a
third of my semester", and the others nodded.  My turn to be astonished.  I
can't even imagine how you could stretch that stuff out for more than a week.

The point: if a student takes AP Bio, they MIGHT just be getting what you and I
consider a proper HS bio class.  Certainly not college-level biology.

Joe