This was my experience:

I took many different AP classes in high school, and while maybe I was just
lucky enough to have a good public school, the classes were rigorous and my
classmates were bright.  Most importantly, we were in those classes because
we wanted to be and were interested in the subject material.  The class
sizes were small and I received a high amount of personal attention.

I will never forget my first college-level science class.  We were in an
auditorium.  I didn't know my professor and he didn't know me.  My
classmates were there to check off a requirement.  I went from an
interactive learning environment to trying to stay awake.  I didn't receive
any personal attention; I felt completely anonymous.  I lost my enthusiasm
and interest in a matter of weeks.

I can't tell you how much more enjoyable and easier it was to learn basic
science in high school.  I wouldn't recommend the college 101,
auditorium-style approach to anyone.

Merran Owen