List Members....

On a yearly basis I do give a shout-out to a Rick Reis, Ph.D. and their
Newsletter called Tomorrow's Professor. Have included in formation about the
Newsletter below. They're doing something right, with over 45,000 people
subscibed to date.

He does a nice job of giving a short summary at the very beginning, so you can
decide quickly if the topic could be valuable to you or you can hit the delete
button.

These are achived on the web, so I believe you can even do a search for topics.
I post this today, because over the past couple of years, several have been
devoted to on-line learning in today's world. It is not advertising about what
Stanford offers. Some very interesting articles about the use of technology in
the classroom recently.

Good stuff for Educators at any level.

Thank you.

Mike Nolan....see below

"Desktop faculty development 100 times per year."
Over 45,000 subscribers at over 850 institutions in more than 100 countries

TOMORROW'S PROFESSOR(sm) eMAIL NEWSLETTER
http://cgi.stanford.edu/~dept-ctl/cgi-bin/tomprof/postings.php

Archives of all past postings can be found at:
http://cgi.stanford.edu/~dept-ctl/cgi-bin/tomprof/postings.php

Sponsored by
Stanford Center for Teaching and Learning
http://ctl.stanford.edu

Check out the Tomorrow's Professor Blog at:
http://derekbruff.org/blogs/tomprof/

NOTE: Anyone can SUBSCRIBE to the Tomorrows-Professor Mailing List by going to:
You can UNSUBSCRIBE by hitting "return" to this posting with the word
"unsubscribe" in the subject line.

I agree, its like everything else.
It has a place, some things work well that way, and other do not.

For example, histology can be taught online very effectively because
modern histology almost 90% is looking at images on a screen, not a
scope.  I think video lectures are a very powerful way to deliver
online ed, but substituting discussion boards are largely over-rated,
and in many cases simply busy work that give the impression of
learning.  I was exposed to one online course in which the total
semester content was less than I would expect in a week of lecture
(this was a for profit degree).  I can see environmental policy being
taught online effectively, but how you teach someone to do say
wildlife techniques, fisheries techniques, or other field intensive
subjects is beyond me.  The histotech folks have a histotechnology
program that is 100% online, you take the courses online, then do a 1
year paid intern to learn the lab techniques.  The problem I see has
always been laboratory components that are intended to teach skills
rather than demonstrate things. Years ago the U of IL had extension
coursework taught via correspondence and video cassette through their
agriculture extension service.  The bulk of the material was simply
reading a series of books and watching the videos.  Then, you had to
go take tests at a local high school, extension office or such.  The
lab was handled by driving once a week to the U of I in
Champaign-Urbana.  I think this blended approach used for online
education could be very effective.  I know it is used at some schools
rather than the either-or approach.

For example, you could teach the general ecology via video lecture on
the net, then once a week the students show up for lab at the
university.  Most people can handle driving 150 mi to take a lab once
a week despite as bad as it sounds.  Then again, does every biology
course really need a lab?  How many do we teach with a lab that
actually only have one because some administrator required us to have
one?  I'm convinced that the laboratory's are not needed as much as
they are used.  In some classes we offer something called a lab and
then have nothing more than discussions in it.  Such an adjunct should
not be a lab, it should be called a discusssion section to provide
distinction between a section where we are doing activities to learn
techniques or see things happen first hand, or even to investigate the
structure first hand via dissection for example.

I'm kind of wandering here, but the article I forwarded got me
thinking about a lot of different angles, but to get back to the
point, I think there is a stigma to online delivery because it is
perceived as inferior due to the poorly structured and poor quality of
some for profit programs combined with the stigma of correspondence
courses from decades earlier.

Agree, disagree, You can cast your stones now.
:)

----------

If we are on another line or away from the phone, please leave your number,
best time to return your call and your e-mail address.

After hours and weekend phone appointments are available upon request.

Sincerely,

J. Michael Nolan, Director

Rainforest and Reef

"Outstanding-Affordable Field Courses in Rainforest & Marine Ecology"

Destinations and Field Courses that we Specialize in:

North America....Alaska (Southeast and the Interior), Hawaii, British Columbia,
the Florida Keys and Everglades National Park

Caribbean....The Islands of Curacao and Dominica

Central America....Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panamá

South America....Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador and The Galápagos Islands and Péru

Mexico....The Baja Peninsula (especially during the Spring Whale Migration and
Breeding season)

East Africa....Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar Island

Australia and New Zealand

Birding, Photography, Botanical Garden Tours are available upon request to most
Destinations that we offer.

The following "Research Expeditions" are now also available upon
request...Endangered Species of Brazil; Macaws and Primates of the Peruvian
Amazon (Tambopata-Candamo Reserve Zone) and Endangered Sea Turtles of Costa
Rica (widecast.org).

Spanish/Cultural Immersion Programs are available in Costa Rica, Panamá,
Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia and Spain.

Sea Kayaking is available in British Columbia, Southeast Alaska, Baja Mexico,
Belize and The Galápagos Islands.

References/Comments from past Group Leaders and Individual Participants can be
found at our Website (http://rainforestandreef.org/comments.htm), many more are
available upon request.

Rainforest and Reef
161 Main St.
Coopersville, MI 49404
Local/International Phone: 1.616.604.0546
Toll Free U.S. and Canada: 1.877.255.3721
Fax: 1.616.604.0546
Google Talk/Skype: travelwithrandr
AOL IM: buddythemacaw
E-mail: mno...@rainforestandreef.org and travelwithra...@gmail.com
Note: Please send inquiries to both e-mail addresses
Web: http://rainforestandreef.org (under revision for 2013 and beyond)