Dear Malcom,

If you are attempting to start a discussion, this figure is quite useful.
But, if using it as an ultimate determination on employer perceptions of
online education, the figure is questionable at best.

There are a number of online programs that offer the caliber expected for
an 'in person' program. In fact, I received my graduate degree in
Environmental Planning & Management from Johns Hopkins. Not only were the
professors excellent, the coursework prepared me directly for functions in
the workplace. The entire degree was online. I also formed a wide network
of colleagues and mentors that help me to this day.  In my experience,
employers have been very receptive to my degree. In addition, several of
them told me they were considering online coursework for themselves.

A number of fields of study are not wholly appropriate for an online
experience. Field study and laboratory work do require work away from the
desk and a guiding influence 'on hand'. However, that does not mean that
online programs with residency or cross-university cooperations cannot
account for those learning experiences. I have heard of online degree
programs forming partnerships to oversee fieldwork in the student's region.
In my current PhD program, we have online learning then fieldwork during
the residency portions.

Depending on your goals, it's important to find the right online program.
It takes a lot of time to 'get through the weeds' in the online searches or
by word of mouth.

I hope that students considering an online option are not turned off by the
surveys. Take the time to find the right program, fitting your needs and
the school's reputation in your field.

Thank you for providing this opportunity to discuss online education.