William

I would like to disagree with you on where you place the blame in your
story.  This is not a stupid EDI story, but a smart human story with a
stupid business application developer.  They have figured out a way to
bypass the rating system application (which is based on the data contained
in the 204 and 990) by making a phone call and having loads removed manually
from the system.  EDI was doing its job, tendering the load and getting an
automatic accept or reject, it was the business application that failed, not
EDI.  It was the business application that allowed the shipper to bypass the
EDI tender process and remove the tender.  So I would call this a stupid
application story.

All to often people blame EDI for application issues.  Many folks blame EDI
for late 856's.  That is not EDI's fault, some application is not working
correctly OR some human is not performing a task in a timely manner.  The
EDI works fine, the data moves from one application to another.

But I forget, XML will solve all of these problems :).

Doug

Doug Anderson
Assistant Vice President Sales Support
Kleinschmidt Inc.