Then there are the partners who insist on using 'U' in GS07 to indicate 'UCS' (you
don't need to look it up, I'll tell you, the valid code is 'T' for 'TDCC'), the
partners who can't seem to send different values in GS Receiver ID and ISA
Receiver ID, those who insist that ISA 11 - control version number and GS 08 -
Version / Release / Industry Code are inseparably linked.

I appreciated the service bureau specializing in EDI that, when confronted with
the fact that they were sending data that failed to meet minimum length standards,
excused themselves saying, "Well, it's implemented that way throughout our system,
so we can't change it.  You'll have to change."

One time my client, the EDI project manager, asked me to increase the decimal
precision on field in an application file generated from an incoming 852.  Reports
weren't balancing because we were truncating decimal positions.  The application
could handle variable number of decimal places, as could the EDI data element.
But the project manager insisted on limiting the field to two explicit decimal
places.  I explained to him that this would: 1) be difficult to map in Harbinger
TLE, 2) slow translation down by 90 percent, while Harbinger generated and logged
thousands of truncation warnings, 3) not solve the balancing problem.  I explained
that the simplest, fastest, and most accurate approach would be to map the data to
the field with variable number of decimal places and an explicit decimal point.
His answer, "Two positions is enough."  When he heard, the application manager
scrubbed the mod.  Come to think of it, this is not an EDI story, rather a
management story for Dilbert.

William --

I don't know if you can use any of these, but thanks for giving us the chance to
get some of them off our collective chests.

It's Friday.  YAHOO!

Art